Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes


Have you noticed the new tweaked face for Applebee's? I wondered if they were ever going to update their look. Since all of the restaurants were closing in the South, I just assumed they were going to shut down altogether.

The newly refined logo really isn't so bad for what it is: 1) Appropriate update to the original logo and 2) Better representation of the restaurant.

I never understood the typography selection of the old logo in relationship to the actual restaurant experience. It seemed to be disconnected. Although the new apple does indeed still feel fairly generic (and nevermind that the tagline seems to have been left back in time), the new logotype as a whole starts to suggest that the restaurant will provide a warm and friendly, down-home country sort of dining experience (no comment on cuisine). In that respect, I would say it was pretty successful.

Here's a good blog I found on the topic: http://www.leibowit.com/?p=182