Monday, November 17, 2008

American Idol Suicide

I just learned of this today when one of those TV shows from which I anticipated catching up on news (but instead found sensationalism) that an American Idol contestant killed herself in her car in front of Paula Abdul's home in California. This is the first I'd heard of it, so I googled to find more about what happened.

Linked in the title is an article that came up in the search, which includes the video from the woman's spot on the show and all the comments that were made to her. As usual, it's really terrible to hear how the judges respond. I don't watch the show specifically for this reason and it feels like a sad world that much of the public enjoys(ed) the degradation of these contestants. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for constructive criticism, but is what they do constructive in any form? Perhaps it was never meant to be constructive. I suppose simply saying "It wasn't good, thanks for trying" is just not interesting enough.

I'm going to call the next trend: Now that someone committed suicide partly over the rejection on American Idol, we'll all suddenly claim the show is wrong and not feel the least bit guilty that we ever found it entertaining in the first place—after all, the ratings have been dropping.

What's the next blood thirst?